Re: [ESD-translators] German

From: Zoë Kooyman
Subject: Re: [ESD-translators] German
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:36:50 +0200

On 16.04.24 13:28, Andreas Grupp via wrote:
Hi,

Hi Andreas, and Etienne,

thanks for your input in these, we'll make sure to put them on the list of review items, but please find some responses below.

I once started the translation to German. But I am stopped when I recognized that the Email Self-Defense Guide would probably need a general change.

For example Step 1.B is not necessary with current versions of Thunderbird. Key generation and key management is already included and there is, especially for beginners, no necessity to install GnuPG

Step 2.A and Step 2.B can therefore be done more easily directly in Thunderbird. Generating a revocation cert is also done automatically and users can find it just after they generated a key pair as a text file in their Thunderbird profiles.
Please understand we don't want people to be dependent on the email program. We used to have the guide focused on working with Enigmail, when we had to do a major overhaul because Enigmail ended. The GPG use is good practice, especially also considering the fact another step in privacy/security is to secure your files separately. Besides, we have learned that the introduction into the command line with the guide as it is is helpful for people. And lastly, the guide can still be relevant for people who do not use Thunderbird.

Besides of this the naming of "Icedove" is history. The dispute ended already in 2017 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian%E2%80%93Mozilla_trademark_dispute. In current Debian versions there is no software named icedove, it's named Thunderbird.
This may be true for Debian, but I am typing this email in Icedove as we speak ;) (in [Trisquel](https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html))

So far some examples of the content that stopped me in my translation activities as I think the guide should have a general update of it's content.
We will definitely put your notes in the review process and look at things like how keysigning is handled in different mail programs as well, but the general update that happened when we moved away from the focus on Enigmail was deliberate and is still relevant for people who want to understand the entire process and not just what Thunderbird offers, so we intend to leave most of the information as it is for now, and a German translation would actually benefit the guide a lot.

Thank you both for your initiative and support of free software.

Meanwhile I generated some videos (in German language) that show the handling in current version of Thunderbird - https://tube.tchncs.de/w/p/hX9zVEpik6rksw2VNvvbkT

Regards
Andreas