Re: [ESD-translators] German

From: Andreas Grupp
Subject: Re: [ESD-translators] German
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:28:14 +0200

Hi,

I once started the translation to German. But I am stopped when I recognized that the Email Self-Defense Guide would probably need a general change.

For example Step 1.B is not necessary with current versions of Thunderbird. Key generation and key management is already included and there is, especially for beginners, no necessity to install GnuPG

Step 2.A and Step 2.B can therefore be done more easily directly in Thunderbird. Generating a revocation cert is also done automatically and users can find it just after they generated a key pair as a text file in their Thunderbird profiles.

The automatic sending of the own public key also changed. This can be done automatically by Thunderbird. Additionally Thunderbird uses the Autocrypt-feature and sends and receives keys also by this mechanism.

Whether key signing is still a subject should also be discussed. Major key servers, for example the one that current Thunderbird version are using, https://keys.openpgp.org/, removes signatures from third parties (https://www.heise.de/news/Neuer-OpenPGP-Keyserver-liefert-endlich-verifizierte-Schluessel-4450814.html). So the web of trust does not work anymore with this key server used by Thunderbird.

Besides of this the naming of "Icedove" is history. The dispute ended already in 2017 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian%E2%80%93Mozilla_trademark_dispute. In current Debian versions there is no software named icedove, it's named Thunderbird.

So far some examples of the content that stopped me in my translation activities as I think the guide should have a general update of it's content.

Meanwhile I generated some videos (in German language) that show the handling in current version of Thunderbird - https://tube.tchncs.de/w/p/hX9zVEpik6rksw2VNvvbkT

Regards
Andreas