[ESD-translators] Starting the translation to Galician using PO

From: Ariel Costas
Subject: [ESD-translators] Starting the translation to Galician using PO
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 13:13:11 +0000

Hi all,

A few days ago I wrote to this list offering my help to translate the
ESD Guide to Galician. I've got already access to the repo (enc.git),
but have a few questions regarding the usage of PO files:

 - How to actually start? I cloned the repo, and I assume I need to copy
   the `esd-temp.pot` file to `esd-gl.po` and start translating. Or
   perhaps copy the already existing spanish PO and translate the
   Spanish translations to Galician, as both languages have many similar
   words.

 - When editing (from emacs in my case, using po-mode), how can I save
   my changes? Committing to the git repo and pushing? Commit locally
   only?

 - Is the preview website still alive? LibrePlanet's wiki (linked from the
   "TRANSLATE" link on the live site) links to
   https://enc-live0.fsf.org as a live preview updated every 10 minutes.
   But this site only allows to see the English version (/en/) and any
   other language returns a 404 (try /es/ or /fr/, for example).

I've never used a PO file before, my only experience translating
websites is doing it directly on HTML and pushing it to a git repo, so
some help regarding this topic is appreciated!

Happy hacking!

--
Ariel Costas (https://costas.dev)

Don't let others read our conversations, use encryption:
https://emailselfdefense.org/

GnuPG key https://costas.dev/pgp

Defend your freedom, use free software and join the Free Software
Foundation: https://my.fsf.org/join?referrer=5559392