Re: [ESD-translators] Starting the translation to Galician using PO

From: Ariel Costas
Subject: Re: [ESD-translators] Starting the translation to Galician using PO
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 14:21:27 +0000

> Welcome to PO World!
Thanks!

> Whatever you are more comfortable with is fine, as long as you check
> your translation against the English version, not only against the
> Spanish translation.

Checking is important, I know. Before going live I'll check my translations
against the Spanish and the English one, and get someone to review the Galician
text.

> I don't know whether you can commit to Git from Emacs. I personally use
> Gedit, then commit from the Gnome terminal.

You can with magit, or just opening a shell session and running git commands
there.

> You can push to the 'enc' repo. But please don't forget 'git pull'
> before committing, and again before pushing! Otherwise the history will
> be full of knots.

I'm used to pulling before committing already, and probably git would complain
when pushing because of the "unrelated history".

> https://enc-live0.fsf.org seems dead today. But you don't need to look
> at the HTML online. Simply open the page you want to look at in your
> browser. Everything you need (css, JavaScript, images) is in the repo.

As there's (as far as I know) anyone else who speaks Galician in this list, I
planned to send the translations to a friend of mine, who doesn't know about
using PO either, so I wanted to link him to the fully translated HTML site when
it was ready, before actually releasing.

Is there a way for me to generate the HTML as it would look on the website?
Apparently the Makefile doesn't do that, and I'm new to PO so I'm not familiar
with generating HTML.

> The main difficulty is to format the PO correctly (escape double quotes,
> don't add new lines within strings, etc.) but this should be taken care
> of by the PO mode. You will get warnings anyway.

I do get warnings when I mess up the file with po-mode. It also allows me to
translate lines of text without worrying about adding new lines (it opens
another window where I write all the translation inline, and then it updates it
on the actual PO).

--
Ariel Costas (https://costas.dev)

Don't let others read our conversations, use encryption:
https://emailselfdefense.org/

GnuPG key https://costas.dev/pgp

Defend your freedom, use free software and join the Free Software
Foundation: https://my.fsf.org/join?referrer=5559392