Re: [ESD-translators] Synchronizing enc and enc-live

From: Zoë Kooyman
Subject: Re: [ESD-translators] Synchronizing enc and enc-live
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 23:51:32 +0200

On 26.07.21 09:31, T. E. Kalayci via wrote:
Hello Thérèse,
This may be simpler than what we have now, but I think it wouldn't solve
the issue if changes to the English version are done in 'main' and not
immediately synchronized with 'develop'.
That is a tricky situation :)

In software projects we generally solve this issue by allowing changes to develop branch only and not allowing main branch to be manipulated apart from merges from develop (or merges from hotfix branches which must be merged to the develop branch also). I don't know if this also fits in here.

Best,
Emre

Hi Everyone,

So i wanted to run this through the technical team for some info, which is why it took me a little longer to respond. But it looks like we cannot set up permissions for branches in the repo, so that leaves some sensitivity issues. However, Andrew suggested that we can look into having 2 remotes instead, that that might be a more elegant solution, but it brings it's own set of issues again not too different from where we are now. But if people think this is a great idea we can look into this further.

I don't think any of the solutions so far really address the issues we have now to merit changes. And as for the current workflow, I think I am probably the person that messed up the enc to enc-live synching order of doing things with the changes, and I can adapt of course to doing that the other way around again. I assume generally no one makes changes to the enc/en files unless there is some agreement here on the translators list, though, or without synching to enc-live, right, or am i missing something?

Anyhow, I can commit to making changes to enc, then sync to enc-live, and keep people in the loop!

Let me know if there is something else, or other ideas!

Thanks!

--
Zoë Kooyman // Program Manager
Free Software Foundation