Re: [ESD-translators] Slides for workshop in Prague

From: Kateryna Razumova
Subject: Re: [ESD-translators] Slides for workshop in Prague
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 00:20:10 +0200

I agree with all these points, but how they can be represented in
terms of user experience? I will try to translate to understandable
language.

> 1. you might want to access encrypted emails on your phone

"You can access your data anywhere on any device if you have a key"

> 2. GPG is simple and well tested technology

It is hard to translate because though GPG is simple telegram/signal
are simple too (much more simple from the user side).
"The GPG technology is very reliable and easy to use"
"Anyone can audit it and thousands of people already did it"

> 3. signal and telegram are centralised technology, while GPG can be used
> on any data and decentralised services like email, I would also like to
> set it up for chat on XMPP. This is important, because it provides more
> censorship resistence (telegram actually censors some groups [1]). (I
> don't know what matrix is)

The bad news is that most of users don't care about
centralized/decentralized. It is more a technological term not a user
experience one.
I would translate these point like:
"The technology is very reliable and independent from other layers
(mail server provider, chat server)"

> [1] https://www.dailydot.com/layer8/telegram-censoring-isis/
>
> 4. you can use web-of-trust to assess validity of certificates

"The technology allows you to identify and be identified"
or
"The technology allows you to verify identity of your partner (interlocutor)"

I tried to make these points more understandable for people who far from IT.

Yours truly,
Kateryna Razumova.