Re: [ESD-translators] ESD guide proposal (translation, video, new infogr

From: Tomas Stary
Subject: Re: [ESD-translators] ESD guide proposal (translation, video, new infographics) for Outreachy
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 12:13:46 +0100

Hey, see comments below.

On 03/22/2018 10:20 AM, Kateryna Razumova wrote:
>> Hey Kate,
>>
>> great idea to contribute to the translation and infographics. I've seen
>> similar changes you suggest in the FSFE guide [1]. On the other hand, I
>> quite like the envelopes and boxes, as it is what GnuPG holds in hers
>> hands on the infographics :)
> The problem with envelopes is perceptual. They are just containers for
> information (not the information itself), so the fact of investigation
> of containers by agencies doesn't provide the right emotional feedback
> to a user. Thus, users don't feel themselves involved into the
> situation on the picture. And my proposition is mainly to show that
> agencies don't only investigate envelopes but also get access to the
> information. And the type of information should be common in
> information exchange of a user. For example, we can show that a
> journalist sends some photos and next moment we can see these photos
> on monitors of a special agency. Other examples are x-ray images and
> "intimate" photos. Several examples are needed to show that
> surveillance is a massive phenomenon.

That's true, email is more like a postcard, than a letter in an
envelope. But it's worse, since unlike postcards, the emails are easy to
copy and store automatically on the spies' servers to be analysed by
computer.

>> Also I have made some changes to the infographics myself, to make it to
>> the booklet form and you can find it with source files at [2]. A
>> translation to Russian or Ukranian (or other languages) would be really
>> welcomed.
> Could you tell me where is the text? Is it available in some tex file?
> I think that the infographics can be made as a latex file with text
> available in tex files and with translation done using, for example,
> po4a-translate.
> I want to note that probably it can be done by placing images into the
> document created by latex instead of placing text into the prepared
> pictures - that would increase flexibility (e.g. for translations).

The text is in the svg files that can be easily modified by inkscape.
I've noticed that manual tinkering with the text frames is required in
order for the text to flow nicely, which would probably be also the case
with the frames in the tex document. But if you would like to take the
effort to change it into latex, why not...

The text is identical with the original version of the infographic. I
think the po4a-translate should work on that.

>> Btw. we are going to organise a workshop here in Prague. If you have a
>> chance to travel and help us, that would be nice too.
> I think I won't have a chance to do it in the near future. But could
> you give me more information about this workshop?
It's going to be organised in the local hackerspace following the esd
workshop guide [1]. It would be great to create slides for that
occasion, that could be recycled for similar workshops in other places.
I think that the slides should include some motivation why the
encryption is important (possibly with stories, sources and reference to
NSA leaks), then guide with settings of enigmail, description on how to
do key-signing and setting of the trust and revocation certificate
backup. Would contributing to the slides be something that interests you
as well?

[1] https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/workshops.html