Re: [ESD-translators] ESD guide proposal (translation, video, new infogr

From: Kateryna Razumova
Subject: Re: [ESD-translators] ESD guide proposal (translation, video, new infographics) for Outreachy
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 10:20:44 +0100

> Hey Kate,
>
> great idea to contribute to the translation and infographics. I've seen
> similar changes you suggest in the FSFE guide [1]. On the other hand, I
> quite like the envelopes and boxes, as it is what GnuPG holds in hers
> hands on the infographics :)

The problem with envelopes is perceptual. They are just containers for
information (not the information itself), so the fact of investigation
of containers by agencies doesn't provide the right emotional feedback
to a user. Thus, users don't feel themselves involved into the
situation on the picture. And my proposition is mainly to show that
agencies don't only investigate envelopes but also get access to the
information. And the type of information should be common in
information exchange of a user. For example, we can show that a
journalist sends some photos and next moment we can see these photos
on monitors of a special agency. Other examples are x-ray images and
"intimate" photos. Several examples are needed to show that
surveillance is a massive phenomenon.

> Also I have made some changes to the infographics myself, to make it to
> the booklet form and you can find it with source files at [2]. A
> translation to Russian or Ukranian (or other languages) would be really
> welcomed.

Could you tell me where is the text? Is it available in some tex file?
I think that the infographics can be made as a latex file with text
available in tex files and with translation done using, for example,
po4a-translate.
I want to note that probably it can be done by placing images into the
document created by latex instead of placing text into the prepared
pictures - that would increase flexibility (e.g. for translations).

> Btw. we are going to organise a workshop here in Prague. If you have a
> chance to travel and help us, that would be nice too.

I think I won't have a chance to do it in the near future. But could
you give me more information about this workshop?

I will also try to provide some form of sketches for the future infographics.