[ESD-translators] Outdated Guide

From: Linus Warnatz
Subject: [ESD-translators] Outdated Guide
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 09:43:34 +0200

While this is not really a translation problem, I am sending this here, as I could not find an email address on the website: The guide is out of date. This starts in referencing the SKS Keyserver Pool, which was taken down in 2021. While the macOS installation guide references brew, the Windows one uses the GPG4Win installer, which is also available on winget. The "Upload your key" section does not specify a keyserver, which is not relevant anyways, as the OpenPGP keyserver discards UIDs when the key is uploaded in this way. This however breaks the official GnuPG client, which discards UID-less keys.

Furthermore, and I noticed this while guiding someone through creating a key, the new default option for a cipher, at least on macOS, is elliptic curve (which isn't even an option in the provided screenshot). Thunderbird (being wrongly referenced as Icedove) also now uses a new UI, and provides integrated GPG/PGP support.

I also have a suggestion: The guide currently does not tell you how to add a second UID, or that you can transfer your key to a smartcard or security key. This should at least be hinted at with a sentence like "You can set further options by running gpg --edit-key your@email in a terminal window."

Best,

Linus

--
Diese Nachricht ist digital signiert. Im Anhang finden Sie außerdem den
passenden Schlüssel zum Überprüfen der Signatur späterer E-Mails. Auch können