Re: [ESD-translators] Email Self Defense guide overhaul

From: Besnik Bleta
Subject: Re: [ESD-translators] Email Self Defense guide overhaul
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 19:48:16 +0200

Hello!

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 19:54:11 +0200
Zoë Kooyman <zoe@fsf.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We (Greg, FSF campaigns manager, and myself) are working on the Email
> Self Defense guide.
> We are going into our annual summer fundraiser, and as part of that we
> will publish the update.
>
> As you may know, Enigmail is no longer a feasible option for GPG, so
> we are currently going through the steps of the different OS's to help
> people create a GPG key from scratch and then using it with
> Thunderbird or IceDove.
>
> We will aim to keep the texts that can stay the same, the same, but it
> does mean there will be some substantial changes to the ESD guide
> affecting translation in a pretty serious way too.
>
> We're working on it now, which means we can take people's thoughts as
> well. If you have anything you would like us to think of or
> integrate, we're open to suggestions and we'll see if we can
> integrate them!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Zoe

I’m late with this, but better late than never.

Reading the guide, with the purpose of updating the sq translation,
I have those remarks to make:

* It is not stated if getting your ssh key authenticated gives you
permission to push. It only says “The FSF tech team will give you
access to the development sites’s repo.” Then further down it
mentions something along the lines “when you push”.
(https://libreplanet.org/wiki/GPG_guide/Translation_Guide)

* In https://libreplanet.org/wiki/GPG_guide/Repository_and_Publishing
it reads “Check out the dev repo *and* the live repo”. The live repo
isn’t introduced anywhere and one doesn’t know anymore which is which.

* Git commands (“use git branch to make sure you”, “use git checkout
  master” etc) could be made to stand out from the rest of text.

* http://dev.man-online.org/man7/po4a/ link is dead. (Because
  http://ww1.man-online.org/ i dead? Duno…)

* “On all pages with a language picker” could be rewritten to just
  state each those files, “Change _this_ to _that_ in file 1.html,
  2.html, 3.html…”

Best,
Besnik