[ESD-translators] Proposed changes in sections 1 and 2

From: Thérèse Godefroy
Subject: [ESD-translators] Proposed changes in sections 1 and 2
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 18:02:45 +0200

Hello Zoë, hello everybody,

I found a few inconsistencies:

* In Step 1.A

  If you already have an email program, you can skip to

Not really. What you need is an email program with your account set up.
And if you are using macOS or Windows, you still need to go through Step
1B. So, the correct wording would be:

 If you already have an email program with your account set up, and are
 running GNU/Linux, you can skip to <a href="#section2">Section 2</a>.

Why not simply delete this complicated sentence? People who already have
their account set up are not going to set it up once more. They will
scroll down a few lines to step 1B, and then skip to Section 2 if they
are using GNU/Linux.

* In Step 1.B

- s/Step 2/Section 2/  (Step 2 doesn't exist.)

- We probably don't need to mention PowerShell here. This will just
scare Windows users away.
  --> Remove the note?

* In Step 2.A [**]

It's kind of awkward to intercalate a note between a phrase which ends
with a colon, and the list that is supposed to follow.

Proposed rewording:

  using the GnuPG program.</p>

  GNU/Linux systems; if you are on macOS, use "Terminal", as in
  Step 1.B; if you are on Windows, use a program named "PowerShell".
  You can launch your terminal from the Applications menu, or (on
  some GNU/Linux systems) with the <kbd>Ctrl + Alt + T</kbd>
  shortcut.</p>

  process.</p>

(Semi-colon instead of comma between 2 complete sentences.)

* Minor typos:

In Step 2.B - Advanced:
  Refer to <a href="#step-2b">*troubleshoot* in step 2.B</a>...
  --> Refer to <a href="#step-2b">Troubleshooting in Step 2.B</a>

In Step 3.A:  s/step 2.b/Step 2.B/

I pushed a new version to enc.

All the best,
Thérèse

[**] *NOTE about Step 2.A*

This part may scare away quite a few "normal" users, for no good
reason: it is very easy to generate a strong key from the OpenPGP Key
Manager of Thunderbird. No typing is needed if you already have an
email account.

Tools > OpenPGP Key Manager > Generate > New key pair
Identity: autocompleted.
Expiration date: 3y by default (choose from a dropdown list).
Type: RSA (default) or ECC
Size: 3072 (default) or 4096.

The whole process took me less than 30 seconds.

Importing and exporting public and private keys can also be done from
Thunderbird. The only thing that seems to require a terminal is the
revocation certificate.