tech-volunteer-meeting

Re: Bob's Guide to System Upgrades With Debian

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Bob's Guide to System Upgrades With Debian
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 12:09:10 -0600

As a specific item that I wanted to call attention to that is needed
for the FSF VMs for an upgrade from Trisquel 9 to Trisquel 10 is this
package cryptsetup-initramfs which needs to be installed.

    cryptsetup-initramfs

Originally the required files were in cryptsetup but that package is
now split.  The new package cryptsetup-initramfs is a Recommends only
and isn't guaranteed to get installed.  It's needed with the current
VM setup (isn't needed on the older VMs) in order to boot.  So if
upgrading one must ensure that it gets installed.

And less important is that for whatever reason the kernel symlinks did
not track to the new kernel package.  That's quite odd.  I don't know
why.  These links.

    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   34 Dec  7  2021 initrd.img ->
boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-161-generic
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   31 Dec  7  2021 vmlinuz ->
boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-161-generic

They were still pointing to the old, in this case version 4, kernels.
Ian ran this manually to fix them up.

    linux-update-symlinks install 5.4.0-121-generic
/boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-121-generic

    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    33 Jul  8 18:34 initrd.img ->
boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-121-generic
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    30 Jul  8 18:34 vmlinuz ->
boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-121-generic

I'll watch for the next kernel upgrade and verify that they update at
that time or not.  The current config file says this.

    root@frontend1:~# cat /etc/kernel-img.conf
    do_symlinks = yes
    do_initrd = Yes
    silent_modules=yes
    clobber_modules=yes
    link_in_boot = no

Generally the upgrades on frontend1 went very well!

Bob