[ESD-translators] Substantial update to the Email Self-Defense guide

From: Zoë Kooyman
Subject: [ESD-translators] Substantial update to the Email Self-Defense guide
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 00:15:06 +0200

Hello Email Self-Defense translators,

we went live today with the update to the [Email Self-Defense guide][1].
As you may know Enigmail is no longer supported upstream leaving the guide outdated and inaccurate.

[1]: https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/step-by-step-encryption-with-the-updated-email-self-defense-guide

We have updated it so that people now create a key in the command line with GnuPG. Most changes were done in the first half of the guide with some minor changes overall, making sure we don't use the word Enigmail, or other related issues and that it connects to the earlier steps, but being mindful of the work for translations as well.

Some notes:

* The old translation folders are available for use, but we are not linking to anything from the main site right now. The old translation folders are still available one the enc repo, if you are missing anything you can let us know and we can make it available for you.

* This should be up to date: <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/GPG_guide/Translation_Guide>

* We also combined the enc and enc-static git repos, so the files from enc-static now exist in enc/static instead, which helps with site portability. You can have a look at <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/GPG_guide/Repository_and_Publishing#The_static_submodule>, which we updated to show the change.

* A last change we made was to include screenshots in the guide for clarity. You can either submit your own, or use the English version.

I hope this is all clear, let me know here if you have any questions!

It is a bit of work, but it's important we keep this resource up to date, so I do hope some of you can make yourself available to work on the translations again.

Thank you!

Zoë
--

Zoë Kooyman // Program Manager