[ESD-translators] pEp

From: Tomas Stary
Subject: [ESD-translators] pEp
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 23:50:49 +0200

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that the new version (2.0.2) of Enigmail sets up Pretty
Easy Privacy (pEp) [1] to all new users by default.

The pEp automatically generates a keypair for all the accounts in
Thunderbird and attaches the public key to all outgoing emails. It
doesn't use keyservers. Instead it advises users to verify the keys
fingerprints via other communication medium (i.e. phone call, physical
contact). When the certificate is about to expire it generates a new key
and starts attaching the new pubkey again.

Also, all outgoing emails to addresses with a known key are encrypted
and signed. A status of the communication integrity is shown based on
the traffic-light colours.

Another interesting feature is the possibility to securely transfer the
private key to another connected device (phone, tablet) using the email
server as temporary storage of the encrypted private key.

There are some questionable changes as well. For instance, the password
is not required to encrypt the key localy, so anyone with the access to
the key can use it directly without the need to enter a password.
Although, the possibility to set up one is there.

Has any of you tested pEp already? Should we update the guide to reflect
this change?

[1] https://prettyeasyprivacy.com/docs/index.html

T.