Re: [ESD-translators] Help with ar and de translations

From: Thérèse Godefroy
Subject: Re: [ESD-translators] Help with ar and de translations
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 20:27:41 +0100

Le 15/01/2017 12:40, Tobias Bengfort a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am working with an organisation that might be able to help with the
> arabic and german translations. Is anyone already working on those? How
> can we best help? (I saw that the arabic translation has already been
> started but is not yet published.)
>
> tobias

Hello Tobias,

Thanks for offering to help with the Arabic and German translations. You
should probably get in touch with the tranlators who last worked on them:
Arabic:  Yassir <ukarroum17 AT gmail DOT com>
German:  Raffael <rr AT fsfe DOT org>

Instructions are available in the wiki:
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/GPG_guide/Translation_Guide

We now use the PO format to translate. There is one PO "template" that
has all the translatable strings, and PO files for the different
languages are created from it. When a PO is completely translated, it is
converted to web pages exactly matching the English pages.

As explained in the guide, in-development translations are stored in a
git repository. The PO files (in your case, esd-ar.po and esd-de.po) are
at the root of this repo. Unfortunately the read-only working copy that
you get with
git clone https://vcs.fsf.org/git/enc.git
(see "Checking out the project for read-only access") is grossly
outdated. So you will have to ask for write access before doing anything.

If you experience any difficulties, please don't hesitate to ask for
help on the mailing list.

Best regards,

Therese
(French translator)