tech-volunteer-meeting

Re: Rebooting with systemd wedged

From: Andrew Engelbrecht
Subject: Re: Rebooting with systemd wedged
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 18:17:02 -0400

On 4/30/23 21:42, Bob Proulx wrote:

     #!/bin/sh
     echo 1 >/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
     echo s >/proc/sysrq-trigger
     echo b >/proc/sysrq-trigger

If the server is doing anything other than hosting static data, it might make sense to try killing important processes, or sending them commands to exit gracefully, so they can write out any data to disk before they die. I'm thinking mostly about processes like SQL servers.

> And of course shutdown and reboot both call systemctl now.  Could not
> reboot it normally it since systemd is in charge of the reboot and
> systemd is not responding.  Isn't systemd just such a wonderful
> system?

... unless systemd gobbles up the kill command too... As much as I like systemd, I hope not. : P

--
Join the FSF and help us defend software freedom: https://my.fsf.org/

US government employee? Use CFC charity code 63210 to support us through
the Combined Federal Campaign. https://cfcgiving.opm.gov/